Sunday, January 4, 2009

Looking At Others With Love

When facing opposition, how do we look at others as God would have us?

I have learned a great deal from the AA program and the 12 steps. I see your faults because I have them as well. I know why you act the way you act, because I acted the same. I know what the pain feels like, for I have felt it again and again. I can never forget these facts as a recovering alcoholic and addict. I am not better than my peers. I am not better than the practicing alcoholic. I am not better than the practicing user. I feel their pain, I know the struggle. I know what its like to be literally disgusted with others because they have what I want but don't think I can have. I know you because you are me.

One of the many beauty's of the human race is our differences. Our skin color, our senses of humor, our taste in food, our hopes and dreams.

The beauty of recovery is that our disease's are exactly the same. All of us have taken different paths in life to come to the same spot. Weather or not you have reached the spot to ask for help and recover or you are still on a path there are people in recovery who understand exactly what you are going through.

In recovery we say "principles before personality", and it may be one of the toughest ideas to put into action, in my opinion. People will so often act one way and feel another (for multitudes of reasons). If I am nervous in a group, I might act out to cool. If I am insecure I might project that unto others by putting them down. If I am sad, I may drink. None of these reasons are reasons for me to hate. If I hate you, I hate me.

I have a new purpose in life since God has given me the Grace to start anew. My purpose is one of Love and understanding. May I always realize my own faults, rather than others. May I have the courage to have an open mind and unlimited Love for others. May I understand that a wounded soul, only wants to feel Love. May I be strong enough to provide that Love when I am presented with a situation to act. May I look past others personality's, for the principal is helping others as others have helped me.

I am blessed to be sober today.

No comments:

Post a Comment