Sunday, January 4, 2009

Helpful Soberity Tip/The First Days

Its a devastating situation to the newly sober alcoholic and or addict. No more drink, no more drugs...the worlds' a seriously scary place. How do you survive?

Here's a few things I did.

I went to bed tired. I spent my first days busy as hell. If you go to meetings every day (which is a very good idea!) try and also talk to a lot of people. If you have a dog, walk your dog every day. If you are invited somewhere by others in recovery, GO. Do not isolate. If I had to be alone, call other alcoholics, I talked and talked and talked. Cry out, just talk it out - its surprising how much somebody understands if they are also in recovery. If you have party friends take your hiatus and stick to it. I couldn't save anyone but myself in the first 30-60 days, don't try and save your friends too in the beginning. Girls - Let the women take you in. Boys - hang with the guys. Let the people in recovery be your new friends, don't think to much and take their suggestions. Get up the next day and do it all over again. If your serious about getting sober, you will want to do what has worked for others...

No comments:

Post a Comment